Typing Pal’s Home Edition offers the same tried-and-true method as the School Edition, used by thousands of schools worldwide. You can even follow your child’s progress just like a teacher would! Discover all the features this effective and comprehensive program has to offer.
More than 700 Training Activities
- Close to 100 exercises to learn how to type using all your fingers.
- A smart algorithm that creates customized activities by targeting the keys or fingers that need improvement in terms of speed or accuracy.
- Thirty exercises to develop reflexes by typing frequent character sequences such as the -ness, -ing, or -ion that form the endings of many words.
- Three collections of over 200 training texts offering content adapted to age groups 6–11 years, 12–16 years and 17+, including texts focused specifically on number pad use.
- The option to choose the learning language for the training program (English or French).
- A video providing advice on ergonomics and information on acquiring good work habits.
- An initial test that serves as a benchmark for evaluating progress.
- Formative assessment tests to help improve speed and accuracy.
- Final tests, often timed, for general assessment of speed and accuracy.
- Three educational games to have fun while learning to type faster. Each offers a progressively more complex level of keyboard use than the one before: Cosmik Ball for individual characters; Monkeys in Jeopardy for character sequences and words; and Magical Duel for words and phrases.
- The option to set the difficulty level for Cosmik Ball and Monkeys in Jeopardy for those who want a challenge, and automatic difficulty settings that match the user’s age group in Magical Duel.
- The option to target specific keys (the top row, numbers, etc.) in Cosmik Ball and Monkeys in Jeopardy.
- Rankings for all games and the different game modes to encourage users to outdo themselves.
Various Stimulating Sources of Motivation
- Up to ninety badges to encourage users to persevere and to explore all the application’s features, including 17 mystery badges with clues on how to earn them.
- Additional limited-edition badges that can only be unlocked by completing challenges within a specific timeframe, to help maintain interest all year long.
- A notification system that announces when a badge has been obtained.
- Achievement level, represented as a percentage, based on the number of completed activities and the scores achieved.
- Personal best indicator.
- Gold medals awarded when the user beats their personal best in either speed or accuracy for an activity.
- Personal rankings for each activity that allow the user to view their results history when the activity is completed.
- Gold stars added to the icon for an activity when it has been completed with a perfect score.
- Visual feedback during the activity to indicate whether the user’s speed and accuracy are below targets.
- Optional audio feedback to indicate whether the user has successfully completed or failed an activity.
- Virtual coaches to guide users in their training by offering targeted recommendations and personalized encouragement.
- A certificate of achievement attesting that the user has completed the training program.
Simple and Powerful Management Tools
- Three types of users to facilitate the management of the Home Edition: subscription holder, invited user and supervised user.
- The option to add additional users throughout the subscription period.
- The option for the subscription holder to view the activity journal of the other subscription users.
- The option for the subscription holder to change a supervised user’s password.
- The option for the subscription holder to delete a supervised user’s account or to remove an invited user from the subscription.
- An overview of results that can be accessed from the user’s Achievements panel with a single click on their avatar.
- The choice between two units of measure for speed: words per minute or characters per minute.
- Reports on the accuracy and speed of every finger.
- Reports on speed and accuracy for keys with the best and worst typing performance.
- An activity calendar that shows a user’s diligence over the past 12 months.
- The option to view video replay for every completed activity.
- Reset options to delete results for all activities or for certain categories of activity: exercises, tests, texts, games or partially completed activities.
- Options to display the accuracy percentage, the number of mistakes and the speed in real time to the right of the typing area.
Clear and Intuitive Interface
- A modern and intuitive interface that can be mastered in a few minutes.
- A home screen that suggests activities to undertake.
- The choice between 109 avatars from three collections: fun creatures, neutral photos or colourful portraits.
- The choice between light or dark mode based on your preferences or your system settings.
- A tool to help users choose the keyboard configuration that corresponds to their keyboard.
- The choice of four fonts to help users who have trouble distinguishing between characters, such as people with dyslexia.
- Diagrams in the system settings that display recommended typing speed and accuracy targets for each age group and skill level to help users set goals suited to their abilities.
- Icons that clearly convey the nature and status of training activities.
- The option to navigate using the keys and not the mouse, thus maintaining the position of the hands.
- The option to briefly display the mistyped character when a mistake is made along with an indicator showing the correct character to type.
- The option to keep track of mistakes in the text with an underscore.
- A choice of location for the typing area: directly within the displayed text or below it.
- An animation zone under the typing area that encourages users to look at the screen instead of the keyboard when typing.
- Options to mask the animation zone or to customize it with entertaining animations or a keyboard viewer.
- A keyboard viewer that includes animated hands to guide the fingers when hesitation is detected during an exercise.
- Options to display the elapsed time and progress in real time to the right of the typing area.
Easy Online Access
- An online application that can be accessed from a compatible device (PC, Mac, Chromebook, iPad) that is connected to the Internet. (See Recommended Configuration.)
- Four of the most popular sign-on methods: Google, Facebook, Microsoft and Apple.
Strong Security Measures
- Data storage on firewall-protected servers located in a secure environment to prevent unauthorized access.
- Use of SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) protocol to set up an encrypted connection that ensures privacy and the protection of transferred data.
- Secure methods for password sharing, setup and reset.
- An indicator that shows the strength of the password chosen.
- The option to log out of Typing Pal and Google or Microsoft at the same time to avoid leaving a session open.
Rich and Varied Documentation
- Online user guide with clear and detailed information.
- Full list of features highlighting the latest functionality.
- FAQ page for quick answers to the most common questions.
- Blog with regular tips and Typing Pal news, as well as interesting articles relating to keyboards and typing.
- Article explaining how to get your child started with Typing Pal.
- Resource page explaining the correct typing method in detail.
- Resource page explaining the importance of accuracy, and why it is prioritized over speed in our typing training program.
- Resource page to help guide target-setting for speed.